I earn a small commission if you buy from links to recommended books, audios etc. This supports my work on this website. Thanks!
In this article I want to talk about how to become more confident by caring less about other people’s opinions of you.
Do you worry too much what others think?
It is good to be a sensitive person and consider other people’s feelings and thoughts… However, you need balance. You should be able to act according to your thoughts and feelings and not get trapped seeking to please others. Indeed, it is very important not to be afraid to put yourself first.
– Worrying about the opinions of other people will lower your self confidence because:
- You will behave how other people expect you to – you will not be true to yourself. You will feel you are denying yourself the right to live according to who you are.
- You will have problems relaxing in stressful situations because you will be wondering what others are thinking about you – this will make it likely you will make mistakes and feel unsure of yourself. In this way, you are likely to be unable to cope with criticism from others.
- Speaking in public may become a nightmare – you will focus on the audience rather than on your performance. You may feel the attention as they stare. This will make you nervous and uncomfortable when you need to be relaxed.
- You will make decisions according to other’s expectations and ignore your own wishes and feelings. When you feel unhappy you may blame yourself. Blame can even become self hate... you may project this on others and ask: why does everybody hate me?
- You are giving others power because you are letting them decide what you should be
How to stop worrying what others think about you
If you want to build your self confidence you need to stop caring so much what others think and more about your own opinion. this means increasing your trust in your own beliefs and thoughts.
– You can stop worrying how other people may be thinking because I and many others have done just that. I know it’s possible…so how can you change?
- Ask yourself why do you care about what other people think and challenge this – are you seeking other’s approval because you feel inferior or lack self confidence?
- Understand that you are only guessing about the thoughts of other people, you may be completely wrong. Why are you letting this guessing affect you?
- Build your Self Confidence – Hypnosis downloads – quick, easy and guaranteed to help you build your confidence (prepared by experienced psychologists and gets my full recommendation). If you have self confidence you will trust your own thoughts and care less about other people’s opinions and more about your own.
- Learning to be more assertive and say no is important because there are times when you should put your priorities first
- List the things that you would like to do in your life and make a decision to achieve them. Don’t let others tell you how you should or shouldn’t act.
- If you catch yourself wondering what someone else thinks or talking about this then stop and consider how you feel and decide what is more important your opinion or theirs.
- Make a decision to change. Decide to change your thought pattern and you will be half way there…
- Download this helpful what others think self-hypnosis program – start being yourself and feel good about that…
- Instead of assuming what others think, ask them directly. You may be pleasantly surprised.
One word of caution
You may truly be justified in believing others have abandoned you, but perhaps not. Either way, you need to become stronger and not allow others to have power over what you are.
Remember the saying “sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me?”
– It’s true. Why do you let other peoples opinions affect you so negatively? Thoughts are harmless – they can only hurt you if you let them.
– I’m sure I lost so many years worrying about what others thought of me and I was trapped in a cage of negative thinking and fear. I didn’t like who I was at all. Now I realise I was mistaken the whole time.
– Improving your self esteem and confidence is the right way to go and I hope that you can free yourself the way I freed myself because you deserve better ….
Get a copy of my e-book “Self Esteem Secrets” – Discover simple, easy to remember tactics to skyrocket your self-esteem!
Website Author and Editor Bio
Karl Perera is a fully qualified Life Coach, Teacher and author of Self Esteem Secrets. His qualifications include Masters and DipLC. He has taught at various universities including Durham, Leicester and Anglia Ruskin, Cambridge. He has run More-SelfEsteem.com since 1997 and is an expert in Self Esteem and Self Development.