Any purchase you make here helps support my work on this website. Thanks for your help!
I designed this self esteem test to be quick and easy to complete online. The aim is to enable you to check your level of self esteem by answering just 16 short yes/ no questions. The test is easy to score and after you complete it, advice is given on the next steps to build your self esteem.
When it was originally formulated, written from my own experience and through research I carried out, there were very few psychological tests for self-esteem online. It has since been shown in some research that online psychiatric tests are beneficial and can replace on paper tests (see this study of 185 psychology students).
This self esteem test was written by me, Karl Perera, author of this website. To use it please cite as follows:
Perera, K (2006). Self esteem Test. Available from: https://www.more-selfesteem.com/test.htm.
Is this self esteem test reliable?
- It has been used in this research for Masters Degree at Egerton University, as the self-esteem instrument.
- This page has been cited in this research article published in the International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research
- I have been cited in this Study of self Esteem on Post-Graduate Students
I’d be glad to hear what results you get.
If you want to include it in an educational course or syllabus, that’s fine but let me know, I’d be interested to know how it will be used and if I can help. Please contact me here.
How the test is scored:
Number of POSITIVE answers you gave, EACH ONE POINT:
15-16 Points – You have a high level of self esteem!
12-14 Points – Not bad but room for you to improve
8-11 Points – Low self esteem is holding you back
Below 8 Points – Your esteem is way too low! One reason could be that you may be a people pleaser. Check out my advice if this is you.
If you scored low on this test, what can you do?
Here are a few suggestions for you to improve your self esteem:
- First, check this page about what to do if you have low self esteem
- Second, join my newsletter and get weekly inspirational tips on building your self esteem and confidence. Thousands of readers who get this every week comment how helpful it is.
- Third, Check out my audio CD A More Confident You and why I wrote it for you. It’s filled with 60 minutes of my best material guaranteed to inspire you to skyrocket your self esteem and confidence!
Information about this Self esteem Test
I developed this test way back in 1999 I believe. I wanted to create a quick online test with simple yes or no answers for anyone visiting my website. Back then, there were not many such tests online. Now there seem to be many, however, this test is now over 20 years old and has been used by thousands of visitors to this website. Various publications have cited this test (see references above). It has been used in a number of academic articles and journals for research into self-esteem issues.
My experience of suffering from low self esteem and depression taught me how badly it can affect our daily life. It also taught me which essential questions would quickly determine if someone has low self esteem or not. I hope you find the test helpful.
I do feel that the test I designed is more helpful and more wide-ranging than the online Rosenberg Self Esteem Test. My test can be carried out in a matter of a few minutes and also contains some useful advice. It also has an educational value and can show the taker more about the problems that they might face as a result of low self esteem.
Future Research on this Self Esteem Test
I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who would like to research the reliability and validity of this test. This would be a great project for anyone studying or involved in self esteem studies or psychological work, academic or career-based. Please contact me to ask about this. I will be happy to give permission if you are researching it to academic standards.
Get more information about your self esteem levels
Mayo Clinic: Is your self esteem level too low or just right?
- Aloysius, A., & Manoj, J. (2019). A Study on Self Esteem of Post Graduate Students. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/338007326_A_Study_on_Self_Esteem_of_Post_Graduate_Students
- Devakani, J. S. M., Devi, A. A., & Vijayalakshmi, R. (2018). Effectiveness of Self Worth Therapy on Self Esteem Among Elderlyin Selected Old Age Homes, Kancheepuram Districts. Education, 2(6.5), 0-995.
- Oyier, B. (2013). Effect of HIV/ AIDS on Self-esteem of Secondary School Students in Upper Nyakach District, Kenya. Egerton University Submission for Master’s Degree. http://ir-library.egerton.ac.ke/jspui/bitstream/123456789/2053/1/Effect%20of%20hivaids%20orphanhood%20on%20self-esteem%20of.pdf
- Vallejo MA, Jordán CM, Díaz MI, Comeche MI, Ortega J. (2007). Psychological Assessment via the Internet: A Reliability and Validity Study of Online (vs Paper-and-Pencil) Versions of the General Health Questionnaire-28 (GHQ-28) and the Symptoms Check-List-90-Revised (SCL-90-R). Journal of Medical Internet Research. 2007;9(1):e2. URL: https://www.jmir.org/2007/1/e2
Website Author and Editor Bio
Karl Perera is a fully qualified Life Coach (DipLC), Teacher (MA) and author of Self Esteem Secrets. He has taught at various universities including Durham, Leicester and Anglia Ruskin, Cambridge. He has run More-SelfEsteem.com since 1997 and is an expert in Self Esteem and Self Confidence.