I earn a small commission if you buy from links to recommended books, audios etc. This supports my work on this website. Thanks!
Take this quick self esteem test and check your level of self esteem, just 16 short questions.
This self esteem test was written by me, Karl Perera, author of this website. To use it please cite as follows:
Perera, K (2006), Self esteem Test. Available from: https://www.more-selfesteem.com/test.htm. [put date you accessed the test here, for example: 9 July 2015].
Is this self esteem test reliable?
- It has been used in this research at Egerton University, where its reliabilty and validity were confirmed.
- This page has been cited in this research article published in the International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research
- I have been cited in this Study of self Esteem on Post-Graduate Students
I’d be glad to hear what results you get.
If you want to include it in an educational course or syllabus, that’s fine but let me know, I’d be interested to know how it will be used and if I can help. Please contact me here.
How the test is scored:
Number of POSITIVE answers you gave, EACH ONE POINT:
15-16 Points – You have a high level of self esteem!
12-14 Points – Not bad but room for you to improve
8-11 Points – Low self esteem is holding you back
Below 8 Points – Your esteem is way too low! One reason could be, as I explain here, you may be trying to please people too much. Check out my advice if this is you.
If you scored low on the test, what next?
Here are a few suggestions what steps you could take to improve your self esteem if the test showed it was low.
- First, take a look at this page about what to do if you have self esteem
- Second, join my newsletter and get weekly inspirational tips on building your self esteem and confidence. Thousands of readers like you get this every week and comment how helpful it is.
- When you sign up for the above newsletter you’ll be able to download the first chapter of my book, Self esteem Secrets. Check out my book Self Esteem Secrets and why I wrote it for you.
Information about my Self esteem Test
I developed this test way back in 1999 I believe. I wanted to create a quick online test with simple yes or no answers for anyone visiting my website. Back then, there were not many such tests online. Now there seem to be many, however, this test is now over 20 years old and has been used by thousands of visitors to this website. It has also been cited in various works (see references below).
My experience of suffering from low self esteem taught me how badly it can affect our daily life. It also taught me how to ask the important questions that would quickly determine if someone has low self esteem.
I hope you find the test helpful.
Future Research on my Self Esteem Test
If you would like to do research on the reliability and effectiveness of this test. I would be glad to discuss this. Please contact me to ask about this. I will be happy to give permission if you are researching it to academic standards.
More about your self esteem levels
Mayo Clinic: Is your self esteem level too low or just right?
- Aloysius, A., & Manoj, J. A Study on Self Esteem of Post Graduate Students.
- Devakani, J. S. M., Devi, A. A., & Vijayalakshmi, R. Effectiveness of Self Worth Therapy on Self Esteem Among Elderlyin Selected Old Age Homes, Kancheepuram Districts. Education, 2(6.5), 0-995.
Website Author and Editor Bio
Karl Perera is a fully qualified Life Coach, Teacher and author of Self Esteem Secrets. His qualifications include Masters and DipLC. He has taught at various universities including Durham, Leicester and Anglia Ruskin, Cambridge. He has run More-SelfEsteem.com since 1997 and is an expert in Self Esteem and Self Development.