Some of the links in this post are affiliate links which help me to run and develop this website. If you click one of these links and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
One of the most important factors in building your self esteem and confidence is your self awareness. But what exactly is it, why is it important and how can you become more self aware?
Being self aware is knowing:
- What you want in your life
- Your strengths and weaknesses
- What motivates you and makes you happy
- What you want to change about yourself or about your life
- Your achievements so far
- How you relate to others
- You need to improve as a person
- Your most important beliefs and values
- How you see yourself as a person
There are other factors that could be added. The last one above has a direct relation to your sense of self worth and self esteem.
Why is self awareness important?
If you want to change your life in any way you need to know yourself before you can act. You need to know what you need to do to head in the right direction and you can’t do that until you know yourself.
In addition, being self aware will mean that you will be better able to choose a suitable career and lifestyle which will satisfy you. Self awareness can enrich your quality of life because you can then move closer to living your values and realizing your dreams.
Becoming self aware does not mean being selfish – it is simply a stepping stone in reaching your true potential and living a life full of purpose and meaning. Discovering the inner you will enable you to give more of yourself to others and this will benefit your relationships as well as helping to build your self esteem and confidence as you become truer to yourself…
If self confidence is a problem in your life then find out how to Build Your Self Confidence with this excellent course by Uncommon Knowledge. It is easy to follow and guaranteed to help you build your confidence (prepared by experienced psychologists and gets my full recommendation).
How can you become more self aware?
I believe problems in life make you more aware of who you are so that you can develop physically, mentally and spiritually. Each experience can be a learning experience and help us move in the right direction, if we allow it.
Becoming self aware is an ongoing process. Make it your priority to get to know yourself, your dreams, achievements, strengths and weaknesses. How? Here’s some suggestions:
- Write down your goals and keep track of progress – The whole purpose of self awareness is self improvement, so it’s a good idea to set yourself some goals. Think of this like a manifesto of your own. Write down your goals in life, however big or small they may be. You could even split them into categories such as personal life, career and so on. Keep track of your progress, setbacks and how you dealt with them. This is a great way to keep yourself in check, and you can even use these notes to give yourself a self-review, allowing you to re-evaluate yourself, your actions and your goals over time.
- Websites – read about self improvement and spiritual growth. See my links section for recommended sites.
- Self help books – I have listed some great books to buy from Amazon.com which will help you. I’ve personally read most of these books and give them my highest recommendation.
- Meditation – Meditation, when done right, increases your awareness of the present moment and all existence. It begins with focusing on your breathing and letting go of all the incessant chatter that goes on in your mind. In this higher state of awareness and serenity, you may find answers to some very important questions. If you’re not sure how to meditate, this guided meditation video is an excellent place to start.
- Be your own life coach – how? Read this great little book and get you started – it’s called The Pocket Life Coach by Clare Gaskell. I’ve used it and loved it. You will too! You can coach yourself spending as little as ten minutes a day in thought and planning so that you know where you want to go. This book will motivate you because you will feel you are making decisions about your life and becoming more self aware with each page you turn.
- Ask your loved ones and friends – sometimes, self reflection is not enough. It is important to have others around us who we can rely on for honest feedback, to help us reflect on our actions and our goals. It is important to reach out to those who are willing to be honest, critical and objective. Sometimes it’s as easy as saying something like “I know I need to work on listening more carefully, so can you do me a favour and let me know if I seem distracted or not paying attention”.
- Get regular feedback at work – complimenting the feedback you receive from your friends and family, going through the formal feedback process at work can be extremely useful if done right. It is important to be open minded rather than get defensive if and when there is criticism. Weaknesses or points for improvement will almost always be called out during these formal feedback processes. Try and see them as challenges for yourself to help you move forward not only in your career but also in your relationships outside of work. Getting regular feedback can help you keep track of progress and lead to a greater sense of self awareness.
- Beliefs and values – your religious and moral beliefs. When you have examined your beliefs and values you should start to live accordingly. If your life places you in conflict with your values or beliefs you will be in a very difficult place. You need to confront and deal with these issues.
For now, I will leave it there but there are so many other areas in which this could go.
Visit these related pages:
Self hypnosis – information about self hypnosis and downloads which will help you cure many problems you may be facing
What’s the secret of self esteem?
Get “Self Esteem Secrets” and find out… (The price is going up again so get a copy now!)
“I want to say that the book is full of quality practical ideas to improve self-esteem. I would definitely recommend it”