[fac_icon icon="check-circle" color="#81d742" font_size="12"] Reviewed by Dr. Ingrid Schweiger, PhD Psychotherapist and Author of Self esteem for a Lifetime
My posts may contain affiliate links! If you buy something from one of these links, I may get a small commission, which helps me keep this site open and help others. Thanks!
Why is self acceptance so important?
It is so important because if you do not accept yourself for who you really are, you will create problems in your life. Some of these problems are internal affecting you personally. Others will affect how people treat you. Many people fall into the trap of not accepting who they are and then try to be like someone else.
Let’s quickly look at some of these problems resulting from this:
- Low self esteem – denying who you are or being blind to what you really want means you may suffer from low self esteem
- Living a lie – if you do not accept yourself you pretend to be what you are not and the result is a false life. If you feel you are living a life which is not you, perhaps you have this problem.
- Unhappiness – as a result of the above points, you may not be enjoying life, as you are ignoring your inner voice and your heart.
- Becoming a victim – if you do not accept yourself you may believe what others tell you and become a victim
- Lacking trust in yourself – low self confidence can result from being unsure of who you are and what you want.
What happens when you accept yourself for who you really are?
Self-acceptance means that you understand who you truly are and where your strengths and weaknesses lie. You know what you want. This will allow you to be comfortable with your place in the world and be honest with yourself.
If you can build your self confidence, you will live a life free of self criticism. Then you can begin to face the challenges in your life and overcome them. Imagine being at ease with people, being able to speak in public and feel good about yourself. No more shyness or fear. Build your Self Confidence with hypnosis – quick, easy and guaranteed! (Prepared by experienced psychologists and gets my full recommendation).
If you accept yourself you also value yourself. As a result, you will tell others that they should respect who you are. You will also be able to accept others and not demand that they try to reach your standards. You will also be able to ask others for what you want and need.
Self acceptance means that you are happy with who and what you are, but it does not mean that you give up hope of change or improvement. Self acceptance is a necessary first step towards self improvement because you need to see the truth about yourself. You can then accept it and decide whether or not you can change.
Self acceptance does not mean being happy with your present situation or standing still. Rather, you are free to change what you can in complete honesty with your truth.
What steps can you take to increase your self acceptance?
- Take time to think about who you are – your personality, your background, what makes you tick.
- Understand that there are both positive and negative aspects of who you are and you should accept these as part of who you are.
- Are there things about yourself which you don’t like? Ok, maybe you can improve but first acknowledge them and accept them.
- Are you trying to be something you’re not? Why? Wouldn’t it be better to be you?
- Get this helpful download and start accepting yourself – it’ll change everything for you!