Some of the links in this post are affiliate links which help me to run and develop this website. If you click one of these links and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
by Karl Perera
In this short article I would like to explain how your personal identity affects your level of self esteem. I will show you what your personal identity is and how it can help or hurt you and what you can do to improve it and therefore boost your self esteem and confidence.
What is your personal identity?
Your personal identity is the way that you see yourself and is closely related to your self image. It is very important to you because it will affect the way you feel about yourself and how you behave in challenging situations. Your personal identity includes:
Who are you?
- What makes you unique?
- What are your values?
- Your physical identity (what you think you look like to others) also known as body image
- Your internal identity (who you think you are in terms of your personality and character, values etc.)
- How you see yourself in relation to others
- How you identify yourself in terms of your job
- Your personal goals
The most important thing to realise about your personal identity is that it can be close to how other people see you in which case you will be at harmony with the world and others around you or it can be very different from how others see you and so you may feel you are misunderstood and you feel life is battle to make others appreciate who you are.
One of the biggest problems people have with their personal identity is that they may not accept or may be blind to who they are and what they believe. Most of us today suffer from this to a certain extent because society seems to want us to behave and live in ways which may not be exactly what we want.
Confused About Your Personal Identity?
The first step towards higher self esteem is to be clear about who you are and what you believe. This is the goal of self awareness. Before you can improve your self esteem or indeed make any positive changes to your life you need to devote time to this form of self improvement. Therefore, understanding your personal identity is a necessary first step and only after this step can you think about how to change your life positively.
How Your Personal Identity Helps You Improve Your Self Esteem
Let’s go through some of the points in that list at the start of this article and look a little closer to understand how your personal identity affects your level of self esteem. I hope you will begin to see how you can improve the way you see yourself and therefore your self esteem and confidence will increase.
1. Who are you? What makes you tick? Knowing this can lead you closer towards decisions which help you live as you want to, not as others want or how you feel you should,
2. What makes you unique? Nobody else among the billions of people living on this planet now or the billions of people who lived before is or was ever exactly like you. Realize this and enjoy being you! Have the courage to be different and your self esteem will improve.
3. What are your values? If you want to feel good about yourself then you need to understand what your values are and start living them. Many people compromise their values and believe they must live a certain way but this is the road to unhappiness and low self esteem.
4. Your internal identity – your personality and character make you unique and you should value them. Focus on what positives you have in these two areas. What do you think are good aspects in your personality which help you or attract others to you. There is always something positive you can find if you look carefully. If you have a friend then what do you think they like about your character? Improvement here will raise your self esteem a lot.
5. How you see yourself in relation to others – this is related to your status as you see it. If you believe you have very low status you will suffer low self esteem but if you feel you have a high status this will help you. The best possible way to feel happier and improve your self esteem is to accept yourself as you are and based upon your values focus on your own position with respect to where you want to be. Try not to compare yourself to others. Those who are very competitive do this all the time and are unhappy people with low self esteem. Your own standards are more important than other’s so follow what you want and believe.
6. How you identify yourself in terms of your job – don’t make the mistake of thinking that a job defines who you are it is only what you do and nothing more.
7. Your personal goals – these say a lot about who you are and the values you hold but if you want to improve your self esteem you should have goals that move you closer to being who you really are. Check out my e-book “Self Esteem Secrets” and make your goal a new you…
How Can Your Personal Identity Hurt or Help You?
Once you understand who and what you are and what values you hold dear you will be able to make better decisions which move you closer to where you want to be. I believe that your self esteem depends on you being yourself and if you live true to your nature and values you will help yourself but often we go after things that we persuade ourselves will be good for us. Ignoring who you are is a recipe for pain and misery. Follow your personal identity and let it guide you to a better place.
Would You Like More Self Confidence Now?
Build Your Self Confidence – Hypnosis downloads – quick, easy and guaranteed to help you build your confidence (prepared by experienced psychologists and gets my full recommendation)
Next Article – Victim Mentality