Stress is closely related to self esteem because it means you are not in harmony. Stress can be good for you but in this brief article I want to talk about stress that is negative. This often occurs for a variety of reasons such as:
- working more than is good for you despite being exhausted or in bad health
- ignoring your own needs and wishes and devoting your time to other activities and people
- tolerating a situation which is directly hurting you on a personal level and taking no action to improve it
Can you see how the above will cause you to suffer from low self esteem ? Let’s look a little more closely at each of these points and discuss how behaving like this can lead to negative stress and damage your esteem and confidence.
Nowadays work seems to have taken over and it appears to be getting harder to separate work in the office from work outside. Technology means we are always reachable and it is often difficult to escape. It is so important to have a balance between your work and personal life. It is also very important to avoid burnout. This occurs when you work too hard for too long despite what your body or mind is telling you. Sometimes you may need a complete break from work and this mean getting away and thinking of more important things. If you can’t let go and feel bund to a job you may even put it before your physical and personal needs. This leads to burnout.
You should learn to respect yourself and give priority to your own personal goals and needs so that you balance work with your own life. This will benefit you in all areas of your life and as your stress eases you will feel healthier and more in balance. A good level of self esteem is a measure of this balance and will also ensure that you put your health before other matters.
Many people fall into the trap of ignoring their own needs and wishes while they spend their time on other activities they would rather not be doing. Sometimes this is due to responsibilities we cannot change but on many occasions you have a choice to say no. You have the right to do what you want with your life and you do not have to accept other’s demands on you all the time. Likewise you may need to put a limit on how much of your own time you spend on work-related or other activities you are expected to do. If the result is that you feel resentful because you have no time for yourself then this will cause you to have low self esteem because you are ignoring your own needs.
If there is a situation which is damaging how you feel about yourself then you owe it to yourself to take action to remove this situation from your life. You should never have to accept any situation which has a negative affect on your self esteem or confidence. Speak up and do something to improve the situation and if that is not possible avoid that situation completely. My e-book outlines many ways you can take action, not just to change your situation, but to change your attitude so that improving your self esteem becomes easy – get a copy of my e-book “Self Esteem Secrets” now.
Negative stress over a period of time can only result in burnout.
What are the symptoms of stress and burnout?
There are many including:
- Tiredness and exhaustion
- low self esteem
- loss of confidence
- loss of interest in sex
- lack of ambition
- inability to sleep
- problems making decisions
- feeling helpless
What to do to improve if you are suffering from negative pressure
There are a number of things you can do including the following:
- work on your self esteem. This means you need to understand more about what you want and why. Self awareness is a first step on this path. Once you know what you want you can begin to prioritize the things in your life. Knowing yourself does require some hard work though. What is most important to you? What do you most want to spend your time on? If you only had one week left to live what would be the most important thing you would need to do in your time remaining? Asking yourself questions like these can help you understand yourself better.
- start saying no. This is difficult if you have always tried to please others.
- don’t be afraid to tell others what you need from them. Tell them what your limits are so others do not expect more from you than you are prepared to give.
- ask yourself what would happen if you slowed down and put off some of the things you think you need to do now. It won’t be the end of the world.
- write down a few changes you plan to make to restore balance into your life today so that you can enjoy more time for yourself
- take a break and reward yourself by going somewhere or doing something you always wanted to.
|Having problems with your self confidence?
Read about this Quick self confidence download which thousands (including me personally) have found extremely useful and use the power of your mind now!
The effort you put in to maintaining your self esteem will be well worth it and will help you to break the cycle of stress that leads to burnout. You should be aiming to enjoy life not to live it as one long hard job. Your reward will be peace of mind and a wonderful feeling of calm and well-being, isn’t that worth trying for?
Can you Cope With More?
“Check out the complete list of articles available on this website now!”